Monday, September 12, 2005

Another attempt at baking muffin, and another not quite successful one. Using the same recipe as before, but instead of adding raisin and walnut , I decided to try banana chunks and chocolate chip. I cut the banana into tiny cubes and addded that to my batter. Deciding to be adventurous, I filled one third of the cup with batter, spooned a teaspoon of jam onto it, and covered it with more batter. I was very excited when I saw my muffins rising more than they did the previous time and once again, the kitchen was filled with the aroma of baking muffins, nothing quite beats that aroma.

Anyway, I guess the problem this time was that I wanted to achieve a more browned top for my muffin, thus I left it in the oven for too long, way past 25mins. True, it came out a nicer shade of golden brown than before, but it was also tougher than before, though still pretty moist. Sigh, when would I ever get it right. And a burning question is, why is the bottom and sides of the muffin still white though I omitted the paper cups this time. Guess I would continue trying until I get it right..hahh..next up would be malteser muffins, oatmeal raisin cinnamon and whatever I can think of..I wanted to make blueberry muffins, but I couldnt even find it in cold storage, except for canned blueberries in syrup, which is a huge nono..guess I would have to go carrfour soon, or Jason's supermarket.

I am so obsessed with getting the perfect muffin now that I have begun taking a closer look at muffins outside, and eating it as well. I think that Cinnabun Tree at Great world city has one of the best muffins around. Even the basic walnut muffin is fantastic, I wonder how they make it so nice and cripsy at the top and soft and moist inside. Even the sides and bottom of the muffin is nicely browned. It is also not too sweet and there is a generous amount of walnut in every bite. They also have muffins like dark valronha and raspberry, banana peanut butter, strawberry... The valronha one is delicious, packed full of chunks of dark chocolate and the sweetness is balanced nicely by the tanginess of the raspberry. And of course their cinnamon buns are my favourite. I am such a regular there that they should start giving me loyalty card or somthing..hahah..

Am I sick of muffin yet? Nope. My mission now is to create the perfect muffin. Meanwhile, its quite fun thinking up new ways of adding toppings to the basic muffin recipe..i am already thinking of peanut butter with caramelized banana slice...or how about streusel topped ones..the possibilities are endless...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home