Sunday, September 11, 2005

Today was baking day. And for the first time, I decided to bake muffins. Its not too surprisingly after all, since I am not that big a fan of muffin, its just cake in a cup, and I am not that fond of sponge cakes. But today, I just wanted to try something new. And after searching through all the recipes online and looking at all the delectable pictures, I was all ready to get cracking. Its unbelievable how many different recipes there are just for a simple muffin and so many different variations. One can use sour cream, cream, milk, veg oil, buttermilk to make it. And since I wanted to make a relatively healthy but tasty muffin, I opted for buttermilk and plain yoghurt.

The process was quite a breeze and because I just bought a new measuring cup, I didnt have to use scales, which was far for convenient. The batter was nice and deliciously creamy, and those who know me know I have a history of eating batters before they are even done..hahah.. I divided the batter into half and made walnut raisin for one, and chocolate chip raisin for the other. I was so excited thoughout the baking process, waiting anxiously for them to become done.

25mins later...Nice and golden and relatively dome shaped muffin was ready. The aroma was enough to make me faint with joy. I ate it while it was still warm, with milk, of course. On the whole, I was pretty satisfied with it, for a first time. The muffin was moist and soft inside, which is the most important thing. But the top wasnt as crispy I would have liked them to be, as I was afraid it would be burnt if I left it in the oven for too long. And while it tasted good, it wasnt memorable, just a normal chocolate chip walnut muffin. Oh well, It would be better after a few more tries, after I play around with it..which i definitely will..

While I was waiting for the muffin to bake, i whipped up a batch of oatmeal cookies, using a new recipe yet again, which I got from a nestle cookbook from the library a long time ago, and copied it into my little recipe book. I halfed the recipe as I didnt want to make so much as I wasnt sure how it would turn out. It was a basic oatmeal recipe to which I halved the batter again, and added a pinch of cinnamon powder and raisins to one,making cinnamon and raisin cookies, and walnuts and chocolate chips to the other batter. The cookie turned out really different from my previous tries, and I was pretty disappointed with it. Firstly, it lacked the crunch and 'oomp' and it was crumbly and hollow and spreaded too much. I don't know if its the addition of milk or what. Hmm, I guess its what you can when you try a new recipe, the uncertainty, which is why I have always stuck to my old trusty recipe. But I actually rather liked the cinnamon raisin cookie, certainly a departure from the chocolate chip that I have always favoured, and the aroma wafting out from the oven was very tantalizing and had a homely feel to it.

And since I have quite a bit of buttermilk left, I am thinking of making more muffins soon, or pancakes for breakfast..Now,thats a thought..hah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home