Thursday, November 03, 2005

I have just been tagged by Cheryl of She Bakes and She Cooks on the topic of "Childhood food memories". Its the first time I have been tagged,so I am pretty excited...hahah.. How does this meme work?If you are tagged, here's what you do: Remove the blog at #1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog's name in the #5 spot; link to each of the other blogs for the desired cross-pollination effect.

1. FoodCrazEE
2. Jan's Kitchen
3. Play-play in the kitchen
4. She Bakes and She Cooks
5.TreSSa loves baking

Here goes:

#1: Chocolate swirl cheesecake from Coffeee Beans: That's probably where my love of cheescake originated from. I remember mum used to bring me to the one at Scott's shopping centre for a treat, and I would always order that. Very rich, very sinful, and with just the right amount of chocolate layer which complemented the plain layer perfectly. Unfortunately, they don't have it anymore, and I have yet to find the replacement. Now, my weakness would be Blueberry hazelnut cheesecake from Cedele, soft baked and very moist, veyr rich cheesecake with whole blueberries and hazelnut topping.

#2: Durian cream puff: My auntie, who used to babysit me when I was a child, had a bakery right at home, pretty small scale, but the things she could come up with were amazing. Her kitchen was messy and full of baking stuff, and the house perpetually smelled, well, like a bakery..hahah. Many a times, I would wander in and pop something into my mouth when she wasnt looking(shhhh). Her specialty was and is mini durian cream puff. Made from the real stuff, it packed all the punch that it should, with a light choux pastry filled with rich and yummy and creamy durian cream, definitely her best-seller. She also bakes the most amazing chinese new year goodies, pineapple tarts, almond cookies and cashew nut cookies are 3 of my favourites. And even now, every chinese new year, we would order these from her and no one else. She has since 'retired' and only bakes for leisure and family and church. I hope one day she would pass all her secret recipes to me, after all, who better than her niece to pass on the legacy :p

#3: Fish head curry: I used to tag along with my mum when she went for lunch with her ex-colleagues at Marina South. They had a stall there which sold the most amazing claypot fish head curry. It is still etched fondly in my memory. The thickness and aroma of it and the sheer spiciness, which was enough to make the most seasoned curry eater to go "shiok ah". There even had freshly toasted baguette to go with it, and I would drench mine in curry sauce. Thats probably where I got my love of spicy food from, and also my love of curry

#4: Steamed egg custard:Ahhh, I remember with fondness these treats I had when I was young. I always looked forward to this almost weekly affair. It is such a simple dessert, just egg, water and sugar, but I loved it, and still do. Simple though it may be, it is hard to achieve the perfect texture and smoothness. I always marvel at how they do it in restaurants, consistently soft and so smooth it just slides down your throat. cos the few times I tried making it, it turned out either too hard or still in its liquid state. So I have given up, and just content myself with eating it outside. Chinatown has got quite a few nice ones, though I didnt take note of the names, and also Dessert Hut at Peace Centre at Selegie.

#5: Tang yuan, also known as glutinous riceballs with stuffed peanut or sesame fillings. I remember making it with my grandma. I had great fun making it, but of course it was nothing fanciful and certainly out of shape, and we used orange sugar as filling instead of sesame. I was very young back then, and I just loved biting into the tang yuan to find the filling oozing out. Now, tang yuan is still one of my favourite food, it just brings back the nostalgic memories. There is a great stall at Clementi, which is convenient for me as it is so near to school. I can eat it even when I have no appetite for anything else, and also when I want something warm and comforting.

There you have it, my top five childhood food memories. Note that 4 out of 5 are sweet stuff...hahah.. I have an incurable sweet tooth, so there. Now, I have to pass on the baton, but I am not aquainted with any other food blogger, so I shall tag 2 friends whom I know love food. Adrian and Jan, you are next...hahah...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home